Contributors

Friday, January 27, 2006

Dead Poets Society

If you have not seen the movie Dead Poet's Society, I highly recommend that you do so this weekend. I thought that I might explain a little of the title that I chose for my blog, since not everybody knows what that means. "Carpe Diem" is Latin for "seize the day." For those of you who didn't know, it's not just the title of a Metallica song off of one of their sweet metal albums. It is also a kind of running theme to the movie Dead Poet's Society. If you haven't seen it, you were perhaps like me, thinking it to be some sort of weird movie about the ghosts of long dead poets, which by the way is very false. On the contrary, it is about a group of high school boys who, more than being alive, are very much full of life. The movie follows them through the better part of a school year where they are all boarding students. It is very interesting to watch the movie all the while thinking to yourself, "which one of these guys am I most like?" Also asking "what would it look like for me to seize the day, make the most of every moment, where I am in life right now?" Hence, "Carpe Diem."

1 comment:

Garrett Suhr said...

uh....with all that english stuff....I must say that my favorite part was the pipes. Yes..I liked the pipes and the cigars that they puffed on. I think that it promoted fellowship and bonding, essential to men.
I would like to point out that I do have some sort of literacy excellency.....because in Laura's blog she has a spelling error. And she is an english major